Step covers and anti slip for stairs
Stairs are a high-risk area when it comes to slipping or falling and it is therefore extremely important to improve safety and reduce the risk of accidents and serious injury.
A quick and cost-effective way to upgrade slippery stairs is to use Real Safety’s anti slip step covers. Safety covers will slip proof the area – but more importantly, the anti slip steps will prevent accidents from happening in the first place!
We design our Step covers for easy installation and mounting onto existing steps. This is easily done all year round – regardless of weather conditions.
What are the benefits?
Step cover safety benefits for industrial, commercial, and other settings include:
- Reduced risk of slips and falls: Step covers are designed to reduce the risk of slips and falls by providing an additional layer of traction on slippery surfaces.
- Compliance with safety regulations: By installing GRP step covers, companies can enhance compliance with regulations and avoid potential fines or legal liabilities.
- Enhanced reputation: By investing and demonstrating a commitment to safety, organizations build a reputation as being responsible and safety-conscious.
- Increased productivity: Our anti slip step covers improve safety and can help reduce the number of lost workdays due to injury.
- Cost-effective solution: Our step covers reduce maintenance costs, are versatile and are easy to install.
We have delivered anti-slip solutions since 2005. Many of our anti-slip step solutions are delivered to the offshore oil and gas and marine sectors along with other private and public sector clients.
Visit our YouTube Channel where you can subscribe and view product videos.
Durable, high-quality GRP
Easy to modify as required
10 years warranty
Easy to install
Anti slip step covers can be used in any location where stairs, walkways or ramps are present, making them versatile and a valuable safety feature in different environments. Our step covers for stairs are often used in commercial and industrial settings where slip and fall accidents can occur.
We offer two types of grid: for offshore / heavy industrial applications and for industrial and commercial applications.
- Offshore oil and gas facilities
- Manufacturing plants
- Marine industry
- Food and Pharma
- Warehouses and factories
- Outdoor spaces
- Residential properties
The ease of mounting anti-slip step covers on different surfaces, depends on a variety of factors, such as the materials of the surface, the size and the shape of the steps and the method of installation.
Real Safety´s GRP step covers are pre-fabricated for a quick and easy installation over existing substrates. These typically include concrete, metal, fiberglass, steel and composite grating, wood and tile, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks:
- Steel steps are made from a hard and abrasive material.
- Wooden steps can be especially slippery when wet.
- Concrete steps can be rough and slippery especially if they are worn or damaged.
When choosing anti slip covers for steel, wooden or concrete steps, it is important to also consider the size and texture of the step covers as well as the level of slip-resistance they provide. Visit our YouTube Channel to see the installation video of our step covers or contact us for more information.
Falls are one of the leading causes of workplace injuries and fatalities, and stairs are one of the most common areas where these types of accidents occur.
Globally, falls are a major public health problem. According to Injury Facts, falls, slips and trips were the 3rd most prevalent causes of injury and illnesses involving days away from work in 2020 in the US. (1) In the UK alone, slipping and tripping cost employers over £500m per year – in compensation and lost time.
These incidents can result in significant injury, loss of work time and financial costs. Accidents are expensive and that is why safety measures are extremely important.
Businesses and employers have a legal obligation to provide a safe working environment for their employees and take reasonable steps to prevent accidents and injuries. Failure to comply with safety measures in the workplace can have serious consequences for companies including:
- Legal liabilities
- Increase in workplace injuries
- Damage to company reputation
- Decreased productivity
Esvagt case study
Our FRP/GRP step covers are made of durable, high-quality glass fiber in Europe that can withstand heavy foot traffic, harsh weather conditions and other environmental factors that can contribute to slip hazards. These anti slip safety stair covers offer several benefits including:
- Products are available in a solid colour or typically in a combination of two colours
- We have encapsulated sharp aluminum oxide grit into the surface of the glass fiber to provide the step grips with optimum friction
- black with a yellow “nose” alongside various widths and depths
- Designed to be retrofitted onto existing stairs regardless of the surface base (metal, fiberglass, steel, composite grating, wood and tile etc).
- We can print text, pictograms or logos on the step as desired – making them useful as reminders of the safety
- We can modify and cut as required
- 10 years warranty – with no maintenance
- Reduce down-time caused by illness and accidents means less disruption
- Reduce potential fines and legal issues
- Cost-effective – long-term cost savings
- Non corrosive and superior longevity
The anti-slip properties of the step covers help solve the problem of slips, trips and falls in the workplace or public areas – resulting in serious injuries, lost time and increased liability for organizations and institutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please view our installation guide for Step Covers here.
Step covers are easy to install.
Our covers are non-load bearing, and are pre-fabricated for quick and easy installation over existing surfaces including concrete, metal, fiberglass, steel or aluminum plate, diamond, checkerplate and composite grating, wood and tile surfaces.
Depending on the base material of construction and surface to be covered, mechanical fasteners, urethane adhesive, PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) and tack-welding can be used.
Pre-drilling holes are available to aid in the process.
Regular cleaning will keep your step covers free of debris and looking new. Most household methods can be used such as detergents and mild degreasers – provided that they are diluted with water and immediately hosed off with water.
For stubborn deposits, use a stiff bristle brush. High pressure cleaning may be used in an industrial environment.
A minimum of ten years.
Step covers can be considered environmentally friendly to some extent for several reasons:
- Long lifespan: FRP/GRP step covers are designed to be durable and long-lasting, which reduces the need for frequent replacement and helps minimize waste.
- Low maintenance: FRP/GRP step covers are resistant to water, chemicals, and other forms of wear and tear, which helps to reduce the need for frequent maintenance and repairs.
- Recyclable: FRP/GRP is a recyclable material, which means that at the end of its lifespan, it can be recycled. That helps to reduce waste and preserve natural resources.
- Energy efficient: The production of FRP/GRP is energy-efficient and does not produce harmful emissions or waste, which make it a more environmentally responsible choice compared to other materials.
Do you need help finding the best solution? You are always welcome to contact us.
They instantly improve safety wherever they are installed. The covers improve slip safety underfoot and they also highlight the hidden edge of the step to ensure visibility. It also makes economic sense to install covers.
All of our FRP/GRP Step Covers are made from a composite material that combines fiberglass and a polymer resin.
It provides strength and stability to the cover, while the resin provides durability and resistance to water, chemicals and UV exposure. They are made from fine glass fibers that are woven together and embedded in the resin. This creates a strong, lightweight material that is resistant to warping and cracking and UV degradation which makes it more cost-effective to use – and almost indestructible.
Aluminum oxide grits are encapsulated into the surface to provide extreme friction. They are resistant to water, chemicals and extreme temperatures, making them suitable for use in harsh environments or industrial or commercial settings.
The slip resistance level of Real Safety’s solutions are all classified with the highest score of R13. DIN 51130 R-Value slipperiness classification ratings range from R9 – R13.
View our FRP step cover data sheet for more technical details.
There are a few factors you must consider to ensure that you pick the correct type of step cover suitable for your specific needs – including:
- The type of stairs
- Identifying the environment
- Assessment of the traffic volume
- Determining the size and shape
- What anti-slip properties should it have
- Should they be highly visible and cost-effective
By following these steps, you can choose the right anti slip Step Covers that best suit your needs and specifications to enhance the safety and durability of your stairs.
Other anti-slip solutions
Anti-slip step nosing
Anti-slip stair tread gratings
These are pre-formed, FRP/GRP stair treads that replace existing stair covers. They are as strong as steel grates, low weight and corrosion free. Furthermore, they are 100% maintenance free and therefore offer great ROI. Read about our stair tread
Anti-slip landing covers
Landing covers provide a slip-resistant surface on landing areas, such as the top or bottom of stairways and landings. They are made from high quality FRP – and come in four different colours and two surface grit options (industry or off-shore). Read about our landing covers